Mina is a precious little girl recently rescued from an orphanage in Eastern Europe who is now finally home with her forever family! She had been without a mother or father to love her & care for her each day. No one to rock her, kiss her gently or tell her she's loved. She is blessed with an extra chromosome known as Down syndrome, which for her that meant a life of being viewed as worthless in the country she was born into & a life without hope. Because of this her parents gave her up at the age of 6 months when they found out the diagnosis & from there her life progressivly went down hill. We are the Gower family residing in OKC who recently adopted this little angel. She was extremely malnourished and unable to do just about anything when we first met her. She will be 2 in January & is the size of a 3-6 month old weighing 14lbs. She continues to amaze us at how quickly she is progressing with love and nutrition. She has learned to sit up, roll over, feed herself finger foods, hold her own bottle and loves to interact with toys and other children. Her life has changed so much in such a short period of time and will forever be changed! Thank you Lord for putting a burden on our hearts to rescue this little blessing and making her apart of our family!

Monday, August 2, 2010

Long blog post!! We're here!!

Here's the long blog post I told you about :)

Well we are here and it is 2am on August 2nd and we are up... not by choice. So much for adjusting to the time change quickly. We went to sleep around 8 and Myla decided at midnight she didn't want to sleep anymore. This is after about 5 hours of sleep on the plane of the course of a day and half... so as you can imagine she was a little bit cranky. We tried practically everything to get her to go back to sleep and after 2 hours of frustration and many tears on Myla's part we decided we would just up for a little bit and so I thought I may as well start blogging to keep track of all the adventures on our trip this far. Not sure when we'll get to actually post it. Have to wait till we find wifi.

So we left July 31st and flew out from Oklahoma to Chicago to Dusseldorf and then here. Everything went pretty good all in all on our flights. Lufthansa serves amazing food on the plane rides so that was really good!

For our family (here's an update about Myla)... she is having a bit of a rough time but we just got here yesterday. We are hoping after a few days of adjusting she will back to her normal sweet self. She is a having a hard time adjusting to the time change and has been awfully cranky and of course more disobedient due to the lack of sleep. After all the plane rides of wearing diapers (since she had an accident on the first plane ride cause of course she needed to go when the seat belt sign was on) now she is having accidents now that we are here. Gonna have to find a store with more diapers for night times since we've been using the few we brought. All these things I think will be fine in a day or two she just needs a little adjusting time. That is a long trip for a 2 year old. She is excited to be here though. She keeps talking about meeting her sister Mina and how she got to fly on an airplane to come get her. She did great on the plane rides. She didn't sleep a whole lot just about 5 hrs on the long overnight flight. She colored, played with some toys and watched part of a movie. The only time the plane bothered her was of course take off and landing and we gave her milk during those times so that helped a ton! Please continue to pray for her!

When we landed in Germany we had to go back through a security checkpoint. They barely let us keep Myla's milk (which we had a note from the Dr stating that she was allergic to all other milk.) I am so thankful they decided to let us keep it. We had to toss out our good American water and I had no idea how much I'd miss it until we got to the other side. Oh how I wish I would have downed the rest of it real quick. So after having everyone of our bags searched (Note to self don't pack your bra in the top of your bag... it's a little embarrassing) we made it through security we went out through a passport control area to buy some water. Got our passport stamped twice (once for exiting and one for returning.) So after spending $4 on a small bottle of water it was nasty mineral water that was some sort of sparkling water and they said was the least sparkling water they have. I thought I'll just wait till we get on the plane and drink water then.

So we made it to our gate and sat down for a bit and then I realized we had left Myla's cares airplane seat harness that helps strap her into the airplane seat in our last overnight flight. So I rushed out to try to see if I could find someone that would know if the plane was still there and we could look for it. I talked to numerous people, went back through passport control to the Lufthansa desk, out of security down to the baggage claim area to lost and found and they said they didn't have anything like that turned in yet. She called someone to go check the plane in the seat we were sitting and I waited and waited till finally the lady got a phone call saying they had located it. Praise the Lord!!! At this point it was about 10 minutes till our flight would be boarding. I rushed back up stairs, through security, to the Lufthansa desk to pick up the seat harness, back through passport control, back downstairs to our gate and thankfully we were just about to board. I was literally praying the entire time. Thankfully I made it before they boarded because we had to take a bus to get to the plane. And I am so glad they were able to find it because that was a huge life saver on the plane rides and we will definitely need it on the way home. That was the only thing keeping Myla in her seat. Anyone who is traveling with young kids I highly recommend it. It's like a carseat belt and they can't get out as easily as just the planes lap belt.

So back to water issue :) Everyone in my family knows I am an extremely picky water drinker and I will let myself get extremely dehydrated before I force myself to choke down nasty water. Probably funny to most people cause some will argue water is water but if there was a taste test I could definitely tell you what was tap and what was bottled. To me there is a world of difference. So once we got on the plane ride with my high hopes of good bottled water I got 4 cups and chugged the down because I was so thirsty.... Tasted just like tap. I thought surely once we landed we will find a place to buy good water (like Ozarka style) but we bought 3 different types of bottled water yesterday from the little store we went to and 2 ended up being sparkling and the other tasted just like tap. It definitely tastes better when it is cold... I will just have to drink it really fast :)

Location:We're here! Long post

No comments: